Pages

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Borges y Yo

This is an audio file from one of the best literary "artifacts" I've ever come across -- a CD of Jorge Luis Borges reading/reciting his own works, mostly poetry and short essays, in his own voice. It's called "Borges por si mismo." The first time I listened to it in Buenos Aires was very emotional. There is something so personal about a writer reading his work--a transformation from the "image" or "myth" of the writer to an actual, real person. Being confronted with the reality of a writer whom you have read, loved, studied, dissected, spent hours getting acquainted with, and listening to the proximity of his voice, which traverses the temporal boundaries, is a nearly surreal experience in its reality (if that makes any sense whatsoever). Borges's voice is particularly amazing in its richness and depth.

I'll add more later about this piece in particular, and why it's one of my favorites. Mainly questions of identity.

Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. I've never really thought about it that way. I've gone to a few book signing and meet the author events, but I imagine they are very dissimlar. I suppose maybe an audiobook read by the author would be more akin? I think partly is what I read (trash) and not so much literary works that hearing the author read holds little interest for me. Also, while reading, I come up with the voices, intonations, personalities based on their descriptions. Yes, I hear voices in my head. Often.

I have no idea what the clip says though, my Spanish is limited to ordering off menus. :\

Sanity Scout said...

I would say that a lot of the charm is probably due to the fact that he is no longer living. Thus, the nature of the recording as the only possible link between myself and the author adds something more, shall we say, mystical and unique. Borges is also a special case, in my opinion, because of his voice. To me it really matches the image I have of him (this doesn't always happen when I hear people's voices) and carries so much meaning, experience, magic, sonorous life--it's so hard to find the right words to explain it. I also find it comforting, soothing. Ancient. Archaic. Wise. Human, vulnerable, curious, alive.

Also, I'll find a translation that is decent (or good) and post it, so you can read what he's saying. It's one of my favorite essays, and I want everyone else to enjoy it, too :)