Pages

Monday, October 29, 2012

My K-Drama Addiction

Well, I just pulled up my blog after many months and saw that my last post was practically a year ago. Even more ridiculous is the fact that the post was about how I was going to post every day that month. Hah! When will I learn not to make promises on my blog? They are almost inevitable followed by a massive dry spell.

The reason I finally did decide to check it out after months of having things to post but not bothering to do it is that blogging was on my list of things to do instead of watching television. Don't get me wrong--I LOVE TV, and I don't intend to stop watching altogether. I love great stories and television is full of them. More importantly, it's practically the only activity in which I can disengage from my constantly-running dissertating mom brain and let something else do the leading of my thoughts for a while.

Lately, though, I have become addicted to K-Drama, which is a term for Korean dramas. I just can't stop watching! I had to take steps to curb my TV hours and limit my K-Drama consumption. So be warned! I'm recommending you check them out because they're awesome, but beware of the addiction! Here's list of the dramas I've watched so far:

  • Dream High - great introduction to K-Pop (Korean pop music)
  • Dream High 2 (okay, but not as good)
  • Boys Before Flowers (also translated as Boys Over Flowers) - from an extremely popular Japanese manga and show - and very popular itself. This was the first show I saw starring Lee Min Ho - who is my K-Drama hero!
  • Playful Kiss - starring the other main heartthrob from BBF
And these are the ones I'm currently watching (yes, I'm watching several at once):
  • Faith (which actually translates more literally as Miracle Doctor - or so my Korean friend tells me) - time-travel historical drama starring Lee Min Ho. I made the mistake of watching it while it's on the air, so I've caught up and have to endure the torture of waiting for the next episode. So good!
  • Rooftop Prince - this one I just started watching with my friend mentioned above - so it's reserved for when she comes over with delicious kimchi. Features a couple of characters from Playful Kiss. Also time-travel historical, but in reverse.
  • IRIS - According to my friend, this is a prototypical Korean spy drama. Very exciting, great love story. This is the one I have to control my consumption of - since it's all available and I'm watching it on my own. Originally I started it to satiate my K-Drama needs between episodes of Faith. Ooo - that sounds bad, doesn't it?
All of these shows are available from Hulu. The subtitles are provided either by VIKI.com (a website started by people I met!) or DramaFever. Enjoy! Or, if you have a suggestion, I'd love to hear it!

2 comments:

Rene said...

I just talked to a bunch of my Korean students, and they would also like to recommend Secret Garden and Phantom. ;-)

Sanity Scout said...

Thank you! After finishing a couple of those, I watched one called "Baby-Faced Beauty" and now one called "Flower Boy Ramyun Shop." As you can see, the addiction is somewhat under control but still around :) Hah!