Pages

Tuesday, December 06, 2011

A Song for Swooning

I just uncharacteristically clicked on one of those creepy targeted Facebook ads, vanquished by the inescapable draw of the name "Mark Lanegan." It was a link to this free promotional mp3 of "The Gravedigger's Song" from his new album, Blues Funeral. For those of you not familiar with him, Mark Lanegan used to be in the grunge band Screaming Trees, after which he has done various solo projects and some collaborations. I became a big fan of Mark Lanegan after writing a review of his collaborative album with Isobel Campbell of Belle and Sebastian, Ballad of the Broken Seas, which has to be one of my favorites of all time. I wrote it for a now-sadly-defunct mp3zine called Daily Sonic. I haven't had a chance to work things out so that I could include the audio file of my review here, but if you really want it let me know. Anyhow, I am pretty crazy for Mark Lanegan's voice, for many of the same primal reasons I love Leonard Cohen's later-life raspiness. You can get a taste by listening to the "Blues Funeral" mp3 I embedded below (you don't have to download it or provide your email to listen). Has anyone gotten to listen to the rest of Blues Funeral yet? I'm tempted to buy it, but was hoping someone might have some input first. I've lately been buying music through Amazon mp3, so that I have it on the handy Amazon Cloud Player, but this might be one to get on vinyl, if available. Lately they've been doing these awesome new vinyl releases of albums that come with a code to download the mp3 version online, so that you have it both ways. Genius!

No comments: