Pages

Friday, November 11, 2011

The List of Shame

As part of my recent reawakening to social networking - in an attempt to climb out of that slippery slope of social isolation that is infant-parenting - I have been updating my Goodreads page. Historically I always find list-making and profile-doctoring to be extremely soothing and delightfully compartmentalizing activities. As I added six more books to my "currently reading" list, however, I realized to my dismay that it has turned from a wonderland of possibilities to a overpowering roll call of shame.

Alas, that is the sadly ironic dilemma of the literary life. We spend our lives reading books, yet must read so many of them that one our most valuable skills is learning to be successful at reading partially when needed. Granted, many of those books I have pretty much completely read - but I am a victim of my inability to click on the "read" button unless I've read every single line. Ah, how I lament your lonely dust-filled covers, my friends in "currently reading." May your day also come, when in a golden light of glory I will turn the last page of your final chapter, having read your careful pages sequentially and fully from one end to the other!

1 comment:

Bronwen said...

To deal with this very problem I made a goodreads shelf called "read some of, probably for school." :)